War Crimes Conviction

When I hear about war crimes in Africa, one of the first things that come to mind is Rwanda and the horrible genocide.  This month the first war crime in Uganda is going to trial. Ex-colonel Thomas Kwoyelo is facing 93 charges of war crimes when he the was commander of Lord's Resistance Army.  Kwoyelo has been accused of these horrible acts between 1987 to 2006, 29 years of terror.  He has been captured in 2008 and has been waiting for a trial since.  So many trial dates have been set but some issue would come up to postpone to another day.

This is my first time hearing of Kwoyelo and what I have read has convinced me that he may have some bad blood. I am not exactly sure how the process works in Uganda but if he is given a fair trial I hope justice is served. How could one man be responsible for acts of murder, human trafficking, rape, assault, theft, slavery, and 80 more ways to hurt another person?  My first impression is that I do not like this guy but I hope the facts and a fair trial will bring justice. This touches the moral values on if convicted would the death penalty fit a person that killed so many lives?


https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2019/03/23/an-ex-colonel-in-the-lords-resistance-army-goes-on-trial-in-uganda

https://www.ijmonitor.org/2018/09/ten-years-later-ugandan-court-finally-confirms-93-charges-against-thomas-kwoyelo/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karfloof

Kenyan Fast

Running